The Andalusia Star
Jan 05, 1915
-Charley Martin, colored was shot and killed by Fred Matthews, Negro.
-Mr. and Mrs. C. Worley of Sanford have a baby girl.
- Mrs. George Brooks burn will probably prove fatally, she lives abt. 6 miles East of Troy, her sister is R.H. Helms of Andalusia.
-Ewell Pearce sustained a knife wound and Claude Wallace was shot in the left shoulder at Danley’s Crossroads on Christmas day. Neither is fatal-Opp Messanger
Jan. 08, 1915
January 15, 1915 (Friday)
- Hamp Wiggins, white was arrested Wednesday, the charges using a knife with deadly intent on a young man named Mae Burns near Wiggins School house.
-Mac Burns aged 17 of Opp has Pneumonia.
-Born to Mr. and Mrs. G.W. Reeves at Florala, a Son !
-Mrs. J.D. Bozeman who has been ill for 5 years will be brought back from Montgomery today. There is little improvement.
-Covington County Jury Commissioners are composed of : H. G. McLaney, J. N. Baron, Hon. M.A. George, Hon. N.B. Powell
-Little child of James Bass is seriously ill.
- Mrs. H.G. Riley is visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Kilpatrick.
-Wife of Dr. Homer Stallings is dead at Troy, formerly a citizen of Andalusia. Baby, only a few days old, preceeded the mother to eternal rest.
-Mrs. Powell of Route 4 Andalusia died Saturday and was buried Sunday.
Administration notice: Covington Co. Application of Mattie Belle McDaniel, adm’x for the estate of D.B. McDaniel, deceased. Notice given that as of jan. 5, 1915, the estate was declared insolvent.
-Notice for Publication: Land office in Montgomery- Jan. 12, 1915, Chester A. Carey of Andalusia, Ala, who on Dec. 22, 1908, and serial Homestead no. St. Stephens Meredian, five years proof. Witnesses: William B. Watkins, George W. Barnes, Joseph R. Messer, Eliza R. Nelson, all of Andalusia, Ala.
- Hillery Houston and S. J. Houston has a preliminary trial on a warrant charging they assaulted the Jones family near Sanford with intent to murder. The case was discharged.
New subscribers M.F. Wilson, Miss Irma Murphy, W. J. Taylor, H. L. Smith, R. L. Henderson, John H. Sasser, W. J. Gilmer of Andalusia, Bennie Owens of Dozier, C. J. Helms of River Falls,
D. W. Blocker, J. S. Redmon, J.T. Benson of Opp, & T. L. Williams of Tallahassee Fla.
-Father of J. T. Bradshaw and Mrs. W. B. Baker of Andalusia died this week at Ozark ,T. J. Bradshaw, the dead man, frequently visited Andalusia.
- Mrs. W.A. Eiland died Wednesday morning of Pneumonia- Samson Ledger
-Bennie Owens, Dozier, is champion corn grower of Ala.
January 19, 1915 (Tuesday)
-P. K. Richards and Miss Lizzie Cannon were married in Bagdad, at the bride’s Mother’s home on Wednesday Morning.
-W.C.W. Cawthorn was severely injured in the left leg while chopping wood Saturday.
-New subscribers: S.C. Spicer Sr., J.A. Campbell, J. M. Davenport, J. F. Bradley, W. E. Sutton of Andaulsia, E.P. Hales of Gantt, E. H. Moody of Opp & T.A. Beckett of Johns Island S.C.
- List of letters remaining at the Andalusia Post Office ending Jan 16, 1915: Miss Lissie Armstrong, H.N. Adam, Mrs. Adolphos Abram, John Crutchfield, Mrs. Honter Jones, Mrs. Ester McKinnie, Ennis Roberts, Tobe Stamps, West Stonys, Tobe stamps, Mrs. Allie Tudes, Mrs. Sweetie Walker, Sidney Winn.
Jan 22,1915 (Friday)
-Bogin McQuay, af Andalusia was probably fatally injured Monday by a blow to the skull by a spade in the hands of Sydney Raley.
-Mrs. J. F. King is complaining with of a lame foot.
-Preston and Lonnie Henderson visited their sister, Mrs. Carlos Tart at Dixie Sunday.
-L.M. Morgan is building a five room bungalow on Pearl St.
-Misses Bertha BARNES and Emma Windham attended preaching at Red Oak.
-Miss Martha Riley of Andalusia visited her brother Fred Riley in Geneva.
-Born to Mr. and Mrs. D.C. Padgett of Andalusia, A daughter.
-Born to Mr. and Mrs. Nick Kelley of Sanford- a boy !
-New subscribers: L.H. Sightler; Black Ala, W.J. Nunnery; Shreve Ala, Hon. Sydney Douglas, Mobile, Ala, Geo. Victor; Norfolk Va., R.J. Perry, D. R. Page, of Florala; E. A. Straughn, C.C. Henley, S. I. Connell, Mrs. E. J. Tipton, N. H. Jernigan; Andalusia
- Hance Gary, good negro, who moved from here to Careyville last year died and was buried at Greenville Sunday.
-Families who moved from Heath to Route 5 are E. M. Ham, John Powell, T. A. Stinson, S. M. McLeod, M. J. Harris, Mr. Carr & Mr. Kirkland.
-Debate at Bethany school house Friday night, “Resolved, that laziness is more detrimental than whiskey.” A.M. Rape, Cliff Burleson, Griffin Barton, EDWARD BARNES, Fritz Fitzpatrick and Charlie Goolsby would be good speakers.
- Went to the debate on Thursday night in Dozier at the Lord School house: Josh Jordan, Levi Kelley, Bill Kelley,
Luther Greer, Roy Wyatt, Glen Dukes and Robert Baker.
Jan. 26, 1915
- John Alexander Kilpatrick of Montgomery died Suddenly Sunday of heart disease, funeral occurred Monday at the Montgomery Presbyterian Church.
-W.T. Walling killed J.M. Sexton at Kingston Thursday night. Walling summoned a physician after he shot Sexton down but nothing could be done.
-Clifton Carroll killed instantly by accidentally touching a guy wire in Ozark. He was the son of Mr. Yancey Carroll. He is survived by his father, mother and brothers and sisters, two of his brothers are Sam and Jesse Carroll
- Jan. 24- Ozark
W.S. Thorington, Alabama lawyer died at his home in Montgomery Sunday night.
-Letters remaining at the Andalusia Post Office ending Jan. 23, 1915:
D.B. Banks, Mrs. E.J. Brooks, Mrs. Mamie C. Bell, Lelar Crouder, mrs. mandy Dubose, Mrs. Lizzie Evin, J.T. Epperson, Coro Floyd, Mrs. Maggie Green, Miss bell Goss, Rufus Heath, Thins Hammonds, Mrs. Haret Hall, Ellen Johnson, Mrs. Mamie Mantese, John Merriman, Mrs. Pearl Pruett, Paul Stringes, Allie Venson.
Wedding- Miss Francis Beeland and Mr. Broughton Wilkinson were wed in Greenville on Wed. the 20th. Mrs. Wade Allen Rogers of Andalusia, The brides sister was matron of honor. The bride entered with her Uncle, Mr. L.J. Beeland, and was met at the alter with the Groom and his brother, Mr. H. Z. Wilkinson, Jr. of Andalusia. The bride is the daughter of Mrs. Clara Powell Hamilton. The grooms parents, Mr. and Mrs. H. Z. Wilkinson of Greenville is where the couple will make their home.
-J. E. Seegers of Andalusia was at Montgomery Friday.
- A birthday celebration on Jan. 8th by Mr. and Mrs. R.R. Rainer in honor of their son, Sam.
-Miss Bernice Tisdale of Opp was carried to Montgomery for an operation is back home.
-New Subscribers: M.W. Autman, T.E. Wiggins, F.M. Vicks, Morgan Forsythe, C.A. Bush, C.C. Henley of Andalusia, J. N. Davidson of Rockmart, Ga., J.I. Brown of Gantt, Mrs. Willie Bradbury, Inverness, L.H. Sightler of Black Ala.
-W.A. Brown and L.B. Clanton have returned from South Carolina.
January 29, 1915
- New subscribers: Mrs. Julia Johnson; Oklahoma City, Okla. J. W. Malcomb; Marlington, W. Va., J. L. Ward, B.R. McDaniel, G.W. Kilpatrick of Andalusia.
- Andalusia Girls Working Club of teh baptist Church had a business meeting Tuesday at the home of Miss Phillipa Prestwood, Present were Miss Ruth O’Neal, Oline Taylor, Mary Wilks, Winnie Wilks, Kate Folsom, Jessie Folsom, Duma Barton, Annie Sentell, Minnie Adams, Eleanor Parker and Mrs. Grace Doninger.
-Mrs. C.N. Wharton entertained a few friends at dinner Tuesday. The participants were; Mesdames G.B. Frierson, T.F. Plummer, D.A. McArtan, J. W. Barnes and E.C. Gunn.
-Bankrupt Sale- I. as receiver of W.H. Hudson, Bankrupt, will offer to the highest bidder on 29th day of Jan. 1915, Andalusia, County if Covington.
-Married; John P. Steels and Miss Effie Caton, M.L. Hamilton and Miss Susan Kelley, H.J. Corbin and Miss Martha Lowey.
-Married at Red Level, Samuel Cooper and Miss Curry on Sunday night.
-R.H. Stallings of Florala killed a 234 pound pig.