The State Vs. Duncan & Brogden against murder of East E. Ballard
Written: September 21 1950
Recorded: November 22 1950
The State of Alabama Covington County
CIRCUIT COURT SEPTEMBER TERM, 1950
The Grand Jury of said County charge that before the finding of this
indictment SIM DUNCAN and D. L. BROGDEN, whose names are to the Grand Jury,
otherwise unknown, unlawfully and with malice aforethought killed EAST E.
BALLARD by cutting him with a knife or a sharp instrument, a further & better
description being otherwise unknown to the grand jury.
State of Alabama Covington County In The Circuit Clerk
TO: D.L. Brogden
This is to notify you that the Judge of the Circuit Court of said County has
set for trial the case in said Court wherein you are charged with Murder 1st
degree, on December 11, 1950 And there is hereto attached a certified copy of
the indictment upon which you are to be tried, together with as list of jurors
drawn for the week in which said trial is set and also a list of names of all
the jurors drawn as a special venire in your case; said list containing in all
the names of sixty (60) persons who will constitute the venire from which the
Jury to try your case will be selected.
Witness my hand this 22 day of November, 1950 Solomon Tisdale, Clerk Circuit
Covington County, Alabama
No. 6743- Writ of Arrest
The State of Alabama, Covington County Circuit Court
The State of Alabama Vs. D.L. Brogden
Writ or Arrest- No bail Received in this Office Sept. 21, 1950
Tom E. Head, Sheriff
I have executed this Write this 21 day of Sept. 1950 by arresting the within
named defendant and committing him to jail 9/21/1950
The State of Alabama, Covington County CIRCUIT COURT DEC. Term, 1950
To The Sheriff of Said County- Greetings:
You are hereby commanded to summon the following named persons, qualified
citizens of said County, to appear and serve as Petit Jurors at the next Term
of the Circuit Court of said County, to-wit:
On the 11 day of December 1950. They having been regularly drawn as Petit
Jurors for the Dec. 11, 1950 Criminal week of said Term of said Court, to-Wit:
1. Rabren, Bill J., Farmer, Andalusia Ala., Beat 1
2. Beck, Charles P., Merchant, " "
3. Merrill, Henry C., Mfg. " "
4. Anderson, Andrew E., Carpenter " "
5. Kyzar, James Hugh, Merchant " "
6. Cannon, Modie E., County Treasurer " "
7. Dixon, Solon, Saw Mill Worker " "
8. Smelley, William Henry, Carpenter " "
9. Daniel, William Ruffin, Candy Mfg. " "
10. Kyzar, Randolph, Merchant, " "
11. Jay, John, Contractor " "
12. Patterson, John P., Mechanic " "
13. Bevis, L. Belser, Dry Cleaner " "
14. Chance, Sam W., Laborer " "
15. Mann, John S., Laundryman " "
16. Cauley, Jason Frank, Policeman " "
17. Knowles, Eurie D., Farmer " r.4 Beat 2
18. Johnson, Robert Chalmer, Clerk Opp Beat 3
19. Richburg, Jack, dry cleaning Opp "
20. Wilson, Everet, Barber Opp "
21. Saunders, Lawrence L., Clerk Opp "
22. Cooper, John, Clerk Opp "
23. Mcwaters, Alonzia W., Farmer Opp r.2 "
24. Bryant, Robert L., Farmer Dozier r.1 Beat 4
25. Burie Clark, Farmer Dozier r.2 Beat 5
26. Jackson, William G., Farmer Redlevel r.2 Beat 6
27. Hicks, L. Frank, Farmer Florala r.1 Beat 7
28. Barnett, Charley L., Farmer Andalusia r. Beat 8
29. Short, A.B., Farmer Dozier r.1 Beat 8
30. Herring, John T. (DEAD), L&N RR.Co. OPP r.2 Beat 8
31. Evans, John T., Furniture Florala Beat 9
32. Tramnell, Millard G., Merchant Florala Beat 9
33. Twitchell, Joseph A., Bank Clerk " Beat 9
34. Williams, Goe. Washington, Farmer Lockhart Beat 9
35. Matthews, Walter P., Farmer Florala Beat 9
36. Smith, Wallace B., Insurance " "
37. Clary, Dennis, Jr., Farmer Andalusia Beat 10
38. Sconiers, William B., Stockman Falco Beat 10
39. Rawls, Calvin, Farmer Red Level Beat 11
40. Bullock, T. Kline, Electrician Red Level Beat 12
41. Moore, Clyde, Farmer Red Level Beat 12
42. Terry, Durham E., Merchant Red Level Beat 12
43. Mason, Charles A., Farmer Red Level Beat 12
44. Henderson, Grady A., Farmer Opp Beat 13
45. Bell, Elbert, Farmer Andalusia OPP Beat 14
46. Gantt, Donald B., Farmer Gantt Beat 15
47. Cope, Donald H. Farmer Andalusia Beat 16
48. Ingram, Austin D. Farmer Andalusia Beat 16
49. Floyd, Robert L., Farmer " R.6 Beat 16
50. Hammett, Marvin, Farmer Dozier r.1 Beat 17
51. Moore, Henry C., Farmer Opp r.2 Beat 17
52. Guy, Jerome J., Farmer Dozier r.1 Beat 17
53. Bradley, C. Frank, Farmer Andalusia Beat 19
54. Walker, James K., Farmer " Beat 21
55. Pitts, John J.,Farmer Opp r.3 Beat 23
56. Carrol, Elvin, Alatex Employee Andalusia Beat 1
57. Mitchell, Robert E., Farmer Florala Beat 9
58. Cobb, Bartlette L., Barner Florala Beat 9
59. Plant, Thomas J., carpenter Florala Beat 9
60. Bush, Arthur J., Painter Andalusia Beat 20
No 6743 The State of Alabama Covington Co. Circuit Court Sept. Term 1950
The State VS
Sim Duncan and D. L. Brogden
Indictment Charge: Murder 1st degree
Grand Jury No. 130 A TRUE BILL
J. M. Moore, Foreman Grand Jury No Bail B. W. Simmons, Judge