The Schurter Bible belonged to Alma Olean Dyer Schurter and her husband Henry Schurter. She was the second daughter of Alfred A. and Louisa Dyer. She was born in Yellow River, Gwinnett County, Georgia, and moved to Chilton County with her parents around 1884. Henry Schurter was born in Freienstein, Canton of Zurich, Switzerland in 1869. He was the son of Heinrich Schurter and his wife Wilhelmina Weber Schurter who came to the USA in 1884 and settled in Hasbersham County, Georgia.
The Dyer Bible was originally owned by Alfred A. Dyer and his wife Louisa Nash Dyer. They lived in Gwinnett County, Georgia at the time of the Bible entries, but moved to Chilton County around 1884. Alfred A. Dyer was captain of Company K, 36th Georgia, Broyles, Infantry. He was a Representative to the Georgia Assembly from Gwinnett 1875-1876. He moved his family to Alabama and started several timber related businesses: a sawmill, millwork shop and furniture making business.