Barbour was formed from a portion of Pike and a part of the Creek cession of
1832, by an act approved December 18, 1832, and has retained its present shape,
except portions set apart to Bullock and Russell.
It is in the southeast quarter of the State, and bounded north by
Russell, east by the State of Georgia, south by Henry and Dale, and west
by Pike and Bullock.
The Chattahoochee is the eastern boundary, the Pea the western, and the former is navigable for steamers of large size. The Montgomery & Eufaula Railroad traverses the county for about 22 miles; another railway connects Eufaula and Clayton; and Eufaula is the terminus of a Georgia railway.1840 1850 1860 1870 Whites 6469 12,842 14,629 12,143 Blacks 5555 10,790 16,183 17,165
The seat of justice is CLAYTON, a very interesting interior town of about 750 inhabitants. A female college is located here. The town was named for Judge Clayton* of Georgia.
Eufaula (In the Muscogee tongue eufaula is said to mean "high bluff.")
is a small but growing city, with a population in 1870 of 2885; of whom
1545 were whites and 1340 blacks. It was first settled about the year
1833, and was incorporated in 1837 as "Irwinton," to honor Gen. William
Irwin of Henry county; but in 1843 the name was changed to its present
one. The bluff on which the city stands is 160 feet above the river level
at its ordinary stage. There is a female college here, and other evidences
of material and social progress:
Source: Alabama, her history, resources, war record, and public men: from 1540 to 1872, Brewer, Willis, Montgomery, Ala.: Barrett & Brown, 1872.
Back to: Alabama Genealogy
Other Genealogy Resources
Contribute to Alabama Genealogy