Duncan, Ellis Madison, biologist, was born February 15, 1873, near Russellville, Franklin County. He received his elementary education in the public schools of Russellville; was graduated from the Alabama Polytechnic Institute, B. S., 1900 and M. S. 1908, took special courses in the college of physicians and surgeons and in the State bacteriological laboratories, Baltimore, Md.; in the city bacteriological laboratories, Boston and completed a post-graduate course in that line of work at Alabama Polytechnic Institute.
He was an instructor in veterinary science and physiology, Alabama Polytechnic Institute 1901; bacteriologist and assistant meat and milk inspector for the city of Birmingham. 1903-1905. City bacteriologist and chief meat and milk inspector 1905 to date; established the bacteriological department for the city of Birmingham; was appointed assistant director of the bacteriological laboratory state board of health of Florida, and declined appointment 1909; served as chairman of the committee on the supervision and control of milk supplies, which reported at the meeting of American public health association, Washington, D. C., September 1912; is a member of the American Public Health Association and of the Society of American Bacteriologists; is a Democrat.
Married January 25, 1910 in Chicago, Ill., to Helen Frances, daughter of Seth Moar and Josephine (Estey) Dunning, lawyer of that city.”
The above biographical sketch of Mr. Duncan appeared in Dr. Thomas M. Owen’s “History of Alabama and Dictionary of Alabama Biography” which was published in 1920. At that time Mr. Duncan was a citizen of Birmingham, but since then he has moved to Charlotte, N.C., where he is engaged in the same or similar work.
Mr. Duncan is a son of Thomas A. and Margaret (Hargett) Duncan, the former deceased, and is a brother of Prof. L. N. Duncan, Director of the Alabama Extension Service, and of Dan Duncan of Franklin county.
Source: Source: James, R. L. Distinguished Men, Women and Families of Franklin County, Alabama. Russellville, Ala., Private Publication, 1928. 111 p.